FrankW

Re: Bolt EV vs Kia Niro EV - help with decision please!

I just got home with my new Niro EV, having driven it 550 miles from the dealer to my house. I am very pleased with it.

The only feature the Bolt EV had that I wish the Niro EV had is a birdseye camera view, but that's not a major thing on a small car. The NIRO EV has plenty of features I like that the Bolt EV didn't. IMHO, the Niro is "worth" a few thousand dollars more than the Bolt.
FrankW

Some more comments after a few more days of use:

The Kia adaptive cruise control is immensely better than the Bolt EV (non-adaptive) cruise control.

The Niro EV regenerative braking is better. It is stronger. There is a stop sign on a hill near my home. I could never stop the Bolt EV there using only regen braking. I can do it consistently with the Niro EV. You can also hold the car still on a hill with only regen braking; that was not possible with my Bolt EV.
CoastalCruiser

I have owned a Bolt for one year and put 30K miles on it. It is a FANTASTIC car and I have had no trouble with it.

However just 3 days ago I test drove a Niro. It was an early recon to prepare for what EV is next when I come off my Bolt lease in two years.

In short, the Niro is the Bolt on steroids. Everything is a little "more". More range, more luggage space, more ground clearance (12" compared to 8"), more extras, etc. I looked at the model with both optional packages. 44K. Not bad. Loved the roof rack. Loved the moon roof!! Loved the adaptive cruise control.

Keep in mind that the Bolt is now a 3-4 year old design. The car has not been refreshed yet. So the Niro compares very favorably. If the Niro holds up as well as my Bolt it may just be my next EV. It will be a contest between a Model Y and the Niro.
FrankW

I was mistaken. The Niro EV does not have a garage door opener. Why would somethings that costs $15 not be offered, even as an option on a $40+K car?
chuck79pacecar

I had a 2019 Bolt, wanted a soul ev, don’t sell them in the US so I just got a 2022 e niro, hands down the winner in all contests.
Regards
Chuck

Return to “News and Main Kia Niro EV and PHEV Forum”