oceanroad

Bolt EV vs Kia Niro EV - help with decision please!

Hi everyone, happy to be part of the Niro EV forum!

I'm shopping for an EV and of course the comparisons are all over the place, but it's hard to find specifics on the Bolt EV vs the Niro EV, and those are the 2 that my wife and I are most interested in. They have the specs I want, and the looks that she wants.

Of course, price for the Niro EV is still in the air so I understand that's a variable, but assuming the cost is similar to the Bolt, what do you think about the 2 when comparing them?
anonamos

RE:Bolt EV vs Kia Niro EV - help with decision please!

I love the look of the Kia Niro, it and the Kona EV are on my shortlift for my next var since GM can't seem to get anything larger than the Bolt CUV out to market
oceanroad

Actually, the Niro EV and Kona EV have the same wheelbase as the Bolt EV, they just look larger. Perhaps inside (like cargo space) is better?
anonamos

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant. Wheelbase is the same, but for a family of 5, we sat in the Bolt EV and it is too tight. The Niro seems to have better back seat room for 3 munchkins?
KeiJidosha

Re: Bolt EV vs Kia Niro EV - help with decision please!

oceanroad wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:28 pm Hi everyone, happy to be part of the Niro EV forum!

I'm shopping for an EV and of course the comparisons are all over the place, but it's hard to find specifics on the Bolt EV vs the Niro EV, and those are the 2 that my wife and I are most interested in. They have the specs I want, and the looks that she wants.

Of course, price for the Niro EV is still in the air so I understand that's a variable, but assuming the cost is similar to the Bolt, what do you think about the 2 when comparing them?

"In the meantime, my Bolt’s lease is up in about a year. After today’s drive, the Kia Niro EV is the frontrunner to become my next electric car. Now, it’s a matter of waiting to see exactly how the all-electric Kia is priced."

https://insideevs.com/2019-kia-niro-ev-first-drive/

dNiroNW

There are several good reviews out there. I'll put in some links. My two cents: the Kia Niro EV is a much better buy than the Bolt for quality, performance, and comfort. It might top out higher than the Chevy Bolt, and it's likely to be money well spent.

Niro EV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF_MQWbToaY&t=118s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFf8P5_XVgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccSxZ7BXfTo

Of course, Bjørn Nyland has interesting things to say and show about all cars EV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdWaVlVhCrQ&t=2740s

Bolt vs Niro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lsVDdgLXho

Other comparisons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhBAQXW4qYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_D1qgcDE8U

You've probably seen some of these. I simply watched lots of EV reviews and came to the decision to buy a Niro.

Cheers!
AaronD12

Re: RE:Bolt EV vs Kia Niro EV - help with decision please!

oceanroad wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:30 pm Actually, the Niro EV and Kona EV have the same wheelbase as the Bolt EV, they just look larger. Perhaps inside (like cargo space) is better?
No, no they don't. The Bolt EV and the Kona EV have the same 102.4" wheelbase. The Niro EV has a 106.3" wheelbase.
FrankW

I owned a 2017 Bolt EV for a year and a half. I'm picking up my new 2019 Kia Niro EV EX Premium in three days. I have read most of the owners' manual. My Bolt EV had an issue, dying and having to be towed in, that I believe was due to a defect in the individual car, not a design defect. Initially when looking for a replacement, I considered getting another Bolt EV; I'm not sour on them. However, since there are more EVs becoming available, I wanted to consider what else I might want. I wanted a hatchback or SUV body style, and that ruled Tesla out. Consumer reports gave high ratings to the Niro EV and the Hyundai Kona EV, so I became interested in them. Kona EVs are only available in the Northeast and on the West Coast. Niro EVs are available in Texas, which is adjacent to my home state, so it was feasible for me to buy one. I plan to pick it up in three days and drive it 500 miles home.

I have read most of the owners' manual, and I looked at and sat in a Niro hybrid at a dealer. The overall fit and finish of the Niro seemed better than the Bolt EV. The Niro had a power-adjustable driver's seat; my Bolt EV Premier's was manual. The cargo area of the Niro appeared larger, and the car is about 10 inches longer than the Bolt.

From reading the Niro EV owners' manual, it is clear that it has two features that I missed on the Bolt EV: adaptive cruise control and onboard navigation (To get a map on the screen of the Bolt EV, I had to plug my phone in.). It is clear from the manual that the Niro offers many more settings choices than the Bolt. It seemed to me that GM intended for people to treat the Bolt like an appliance and didn't understand that many, if not most, current EV buyers are enthusiasts who want to be able to see what's going on and to tweak settings. Another plus for the Niro EV is that, according to what I read online, the Niro spare tire kit will fit into it.

In four days, I'll be able to compare them even better!

If you want to discuss, send me a PM with a phone number.
jeffh

I just sold my Bolt EV on Thursday and picked up the Niro EV last night. I had the Bolt EV for 130k miles due to a long commute and mine never broke down, just plugged it in each night and went the next morning.

I just got the Niro EV last night, so can't give a comparison based on long ownership, but like FrankW above I took my time studying the features and manual, etc.

The things I liked better about the Bolt EV:
- Wifi hot spot available with $25/month data plan - which I used daily.
- Remote start on the key fob (I don't see any buttons for this on the Niro fob)

The things I like better (so far) on the Niro EV:
- Seats are much more comfortable (if you considering a Bolt EV, be sure to "butt test" the seats thoroughly)
- Smart Cruise Control (I don't think the Bolt EV even with the 2020 model offers adaptive cruise yet, and it was SO great last night to have it back with the Niro)
- Time settings to have car charged and climate-conditioned on a daily pre-set schedule. With my prior Fusion Energi these were called "GO Times" and the Bolt EV did not have them and the Niro EV does
- Telescoping sun visors! The Bolt EV did not have them on my 2017 model and those little stubby visors sucked, maybe the 2020 Bolt EV now has them but I confirmed that the Niro EV does have them, thankfully
- Sunglasses holder! The Bolt EV didn't have them, which always bugged me
- Power driver seat offered on the Premium trim - I don't think the Bolt EV offers this even on the 2020 model, but if that feature is important to you then be sure to check
- Moonroof on the Premium trim - same as above, I don't think this is offered at all

That's a quick list, as for cost comparison the Niro EV is eligible for the $7,500 tax credit but I checked the website of a dealer in MD and the Bolt EV showed an $8,500 rebate right now, so the costs are pretty much balanced out between the two.
FrankW

When I wrote my previous post, I forgot something. The Bolt EV did not have a garage door opener; the Niro EV does.

It always puzzled me the GM left features off the Bolt that would have cost almost nothing to include. I bought a standalone garage door opener for about $15 to put in the car. Surely, it would be cheaper to include the functionality in the car than to make a standalone unit. I would have happily paid $25 more for a car with one, so GM could have made money on it.

ETA 1/25/20. I was mistaken about the garage door opener. It doesn't have one. Why? It would cost so little. It could done by providing a cavity with contacts for power somewhere with a snap-off cover, which would cost almost nothing, and selling an opener that would snap into the cavity as an accessory.
Last edited by FrankW on Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News and Main Kia Niro EV and PHEV Forum”